Monday, December 12, 2011

GUI in a NUI

Today, I was working on refining the "GUI" interface on my project. That means working with menu navigation, animations, text and selection.

So far I have two menus:
(1)A mode menu that allows you to selected an operation on the spot.
(2) A Global menu that allows to adding objects, exiting the app or doing any large scale changes
The mode menu is accessed through the swipe of the right hand, the global menu is activated by taking a step back.

Even thought it may seem like eye-candy, the correct animations and fonts can make a big difference in usability. Part of the idea of the NUI is that you have a very "physical" interface, objects move on screen like they would in real life since you are actually using your hands. Thus the slide animations I've included add to this feel.  Furthermore, font for such an interface is an interesting selection. I assume that most users will be standing at least 2 feet away (due to the limitations of the Kinect) and thus most font is kept at a large size. I've used a san serif font called Segoe; this gives the interface a cleaner look.


Here is a demo video (still working on improving the constants for optimal gesture recognition).



Also sorry for the jittery video capture. The animations are smooth...trust me :).





2 comments:

  1. Have you seen this TED talk?

    http://www.ted.com/talks/john_underkoffler_drive_3d_data_with_a_gesture.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I actually referenced that TED talk in my proposal, but I haven't looked at it in a while.

    Should be good to revisit that again to get more ideals since my project is at a further stage now.

    -David

    ReplyDelete